Nothing brings the family together like a camping trip. It’s a time when families get out of the house, away from the TV, and spend some quality time together. Yes, there may be scheduled family activities when you stay at LVL, but what if you want to do your own thing with your family and friends? I have some family friendly activities that you can try when that happens! These are great for camping and other get-togethers.
1) Squirt gun races: To play this game, make a line of empty plastic drinking cups along the edge of a picnic table. Fill a squirt gun with water. On go, squirt the cups until they fall off the edge of the table. You can play with multiple players and see who can knock the most cups off, or you can time each player to see who can clear the table the fastest.
2) Flashlight Tag: You’ll want to be careful of any obstacles in your area prior to beginning this game. Check your area before dark to make sure it will be safe later. This is a fun game to play at the campsite once it gets dark. Give the tagger a flash light and play tag as you normally would, except the tagger uses the light of the flashlight to “tag” people. Once a player is “hit” with the light they are out and play continues until everyone has been caught, or the player becomes the tagger.
3) Water Relay: A hilarious game for a hot day, each person will need a drinking cup to play. Players stand in line, single file. The person at the front of the line has a full cup of water, all of the other cups are empty. The first person dumps the water out over his head into the next person’s cup (without turning and looking). The person behind tries to catch as much water as he can. Play continues down the line until the last person has caught the water in their cup – if there is any left! Then they race to the front of the line to start over…but they may need to fill their cup first.
4) Glow Stick Ring Toss: Give each play 3-5 glow stick rings – glow bracelets or necklaces work well. Dig a stick into the dirt so that it is poking up out of the ground. Take turns trying to throw your glow stick rings over the stick.
5) Air Pong: Divide players into two groups. Each group stands on opposite sides of a picnic table, hands behind backs. A polystyrene cup or small ball (ping pong ball or similar) is placed in the center of the table. On ‘go’ teams try to blow the cup off the opposite team’s side of the table.
6) Thumb Wrestling Tournament: Two players each extend their right (or left) hand and, with fingertips bent inwards, grasp their opponent’s fingertips to clasp hands together. Move thumbs up and down for a count of three together and begin. Keeping hands clasped, each player tries to pin down their opponent’s thumb for a count of five using just their own thumb. The winner plays the next challenger until the family thumb wrestler extraordinaire is decided!
7) Make a meal together: Pick one meal prior to your camping trip that the whole group will have a part in making. Give each group member a “job” to do to complete the meal. One person can cut things, one person can oversee the fire, etc. It will be a meal to remember.
8) Play some cards: Pick a card game such as rummy, poker, Old Maid, etc and sit around the picnic table with your family. You could even do this with board games brought from home. Designate a span of time to focus on playing together.
9) Take a hike: Grab the family and explore while you are at LVL. There are all kinds of places to discover on the Resort! This is a good time to catch up with everyone.
10) Go for a swim: LVL has plenty of places to cool off in the Summer! Some of my best memories at LVL were learning how to swim at the old Sports Arena pool. Lake Expo pool has proven to be a favorite among Owners and their guests!
There are all kinds of things to do while out on the Resort with your family and friends! Get creative, start traditions, and spend that time you have been needing away from the normal routine. We have tons of family friendly activities happening on the Resort every day! If you can’t come up with something, join us for one of our activities!