When you catch some trout for supper, here’s a simple way to prepare them deliciously for the campfire.
Campfire Trout In Foil Recipe
Author: 50 Campfires
Recipe type: Fish Dinner
- 1 10-12-inch trout per packet (if smaller than that you can double them up)
- 3-4 Tbsp. onion, chopped
- 4 lemon slices
- salt to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2-3 tsp. butter or 2 strips partially pre-cooked bacon
- Heavy-duty aluminum foil
- Dress trout, but leave whole with head intact.
- Tear off sheet of aluminum foil about six inches longer than trout.
- Splash a teaspoon or two of water on foil.
- Lay trout in center of sheet.
- Open cavity on trout and season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle chopped onions into cavity.
- Cut one or two lemon slices in half and lay them in the cavity.
- Place pads of butter or bacon strips into cavity on top of lemons.
- Close cavity to hold everything in place.
- Fold and seal foil into packet making it as air tight as possible. Seal inside a second layer of aluminum foil if you wish.
- Place on grill or in coals of campfire at medium high heat for 15-20 minutes.
- Trout is done when skin peels easily away from flesh and flesh flakes easily from bones.